Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Peer-Reviewed Journal Article

I chose the article Clinician perceptions about inpatient occupational therapy groups in traumatic brain injury rehabilitation for my peer-reviewed blog, I was able to find this article by using the UTHSC library database. This article looked at clinicians perspectives when it came to the benefits and challenges of group therapy for clients with traumatic brain injury. I felt that this article really went well with our course because it addresses how the leadership can alter the group, which is something we discussed. I also liked how they used focus groups to collect the data, stating that this help "the exchange of ideas between participants." In the conclusion, they discuss the benefits for a client to have relationships and person to person contact with others, especially those going through a similar situation. They discuss how this can often be eliminated in the hospital setting, but group therapy can fill this void. To conclude, they determined that group therapy was "worthwhile and rewarding."

For me, the most significant part was being able to read this article and compare it to everything I have learned in our groups class as well as my adults class. Subsequently, I noticed that these practitioners pointed out a lot of the benefits and challenges that come along with group intervention. This is probably because after just completing the course I can better understand the challenges that they face. This is similar to when you don't understand until you have experienced it first hand because things usually sound easier than they actually are. Having read this, I now feel excited to continue to advocate for the benefits of group intervention. This means that I need to continue to study and develop my skills as a group leader. In the future, I hope to look back at this time and know that I have made a difference in others lives using group therapy. 



Reference: 
Patterson, F. )., Fleming, J. )., & Doig, E. ). (2017). Clinician perceptions about inpatient occupational therapy groups in 
traumatic brain injury rehabilitation. Brain Injury31(8), 1077-1087. doi:10.1080/02699052.2017.1296974

No comments:

Post a Comment