Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Emerging Areas in Occupational Therapy

The field of occupational therapy is quickly growing! With this growing comes more practitioners, more knowledge, higher degrees, and new areas of practice. This makes it so exciting to be a student and learn about all of the areas I can potentially work in and even specialize in one day. While browsing the AOTA article on emerging areas of practice I came across Autism in Adults. I immediately knew this is what I wanted to choose to research a bit further on.

I will start from the beginning, this summer I worked right alongside this population in Knoxville, TN! As I mentioned in a few of my earlier blog posts, I interned in therapeutic recreation with the City of Knoxville. Our main goal was to provide programming for adults with disabilities. Once these adults age out of the school system, their resources to programming become extremely limited. So, when I saw this on the list for emerging practice areas for OT I was pumped! My eyes were open to all the work that is to be done this summer and my heart is really with that population.

As discussed ont the AOTA website, adults with autism need assistance to transition into adulthood and being more independent. An occupational therapist could help them improve their quality of life and have meaningful relationships.

I believe this emerging area of practice aligns perfectly with AOTA's Vision 2025. It is about providing accessibility. It is about collaborating with adults with autism as well as the community. It is about being effective and providing the best quality of service to these deserving individuals. It is about leadership, for the occupational therapist going into this field as well as the adults lives we will be touching.

I cannot wait to continue to follow this emerging area of practice!


https://www.aota.org/Practice/Rehabilitation-Disability/Emerging-Niche/Autism.aspx
http://www.aota.org/AboutAOTA/vision-2025.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment