Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Neuro Note #4

After discussing sexuality in class a few weeks ago, I overheard some classmates discussing an article that they had read on the topic of sex and disabilities. After getting the name of the article and hearing more about it I decided this would be a great article for a neuro note. The article is titled "Fucktionality: Why Sexual Function Should be Part of Occupational and Physical Therapies for Disabled people" by Andrew Gurza.

First off, every future/current OT and PT needs to read this article. Mr. Gurza uses such a blunt and straight forward tone, there is no beating around the bush. He describes a failed attempt at sex and the first time he asked his OT about it. When he brought it up with the OT, she became extremely awkward because she had never been in that situation before. I am lucky to have already touched on the subject in one of my OT school courses. However, there is so much more for me to learn. I started my learning experience by reading some of Mr. Gurza's other articles. I hope I can continue to explore this topic and become educated so I can help someone one day and not be caught off guard. Sexuality is such a big part of a person, and although it is not usually discussed openly, I think as a future OT I should make it comfortable to discuss. It is something everyone goes through and should not be something to be ashamed of!
So, as I previously mentioned, I highly recommend this article for anyone in the health and rehab field. However, I think it can be particularly beneficial for occupational and physical therapists as we work with clients to regain strength and increase functionality in daily tasks. I hope to reflect back on this article and topic throughout my career.


Direct website link: 
https://www.kinkly.com/2/13660/sexual-health/health-professional/fucktionality-why-sexual-function-should-be-part-of-occupational-and-physical-therapies-for-disabled-people

Reference:
Gurza, A. (2016, June 22). Fucktionality: Why Sexual Function Should be Part of Occupational and Physical Therapies for Disabled People. Retrieved May 23, 2017, from https://www.kinkly.com/2/13660/sexual-health/health-professional/fucktionality-why-sexual-function-should-be-part-of-occupational-and-physical-therapies-for-disabled-people
Direct website link: https://www.kinkly.com/2/13660/sexual-health/health-professional/fucktionality-why-sexual-function-should-be-part-of-occupational-and-physical-therapies-for-disabled-people

No comments:

Post a Comment