Wednesday, April 12, 2017

(3) Therapeutic Recreation

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) was my home before coming to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC). During orientation, the summer before my freshmen year, I happened across the perfect major. I had applied as a biology major, thinking that was the best track for me to get into occupational therapy school. All I have to say is, thank goodness for my advisor. She introduced me to the major of Therapeutic Recreation.

Therapeutic Recreation is very similar to the field of occupational therapy. Instead of the focus being on occupations, it focuses on using recreation as a form of therapy. Not only was it the most fun and hands on major at UTK, I have already noticed how prepared it made me for grad school.

While being part of the major I got the opportunity to attend 3 different camp experiences, work in a special education classroom to plan activities, and intern in 3 different facilities. All of these directly benefiting my future as an occupational therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment