Friday, April 21, 2017

(6) Adaptive Sports

As I previously discussed on my blog, I have my undergraduate degree in Therapeutic Recreation. Through this major I was exposed to some of the best hands on experience I could dream of. One area in particular that has stuck with me is adaptive sports. I spent the summer of 2016 working as an intern with the City of Knoxville Parks and Recreation. My main focus throughout this internship was to increase adaptive sport opportunities for residents of the Knoxville community, mainly adults. Talk about a life changing summer! We implemented a walking club, bocce ball, basketball, volleyball, kickball, tee ball, dodge ball, disc golf, power soccer for younger participants in wheelchairs, beep kickball for participants with low vision, and so much more.
As I have started my journey as an occupational therapist I hope to be able to continue working with this newly discovered passion. There is no better feeling than seeing the pure joy and excitement on a participants face when they hit that ball for the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment