Friday, April 28, 2017

Neuro Note 2

I had the privilege to attend a Memphis Rolling Grizzlies basketball practice with my fellow classmates this week. This is a group of athletes, some with a spinal cord injury and others without. I think this is one of the most inspiring parts of the Rolling Grizzlies, the fact that those with a SCI can compete and work on an evening playing field as those without. All participants are in a wheelchair for the game, disability or not.
The fact that we had just discussed SCI in class allowed this experience to be an extremely beneficial supplement to my learning. I was able to pick up on things, like the height of the back of the wheelchair, that I would have not known to look for before. Most of the athletes had very low backs on their chairs, showing that their injuries were in the thoracic or lumbar regions allowing for trunk control.
This is an event that I would definitely recommend for fellow occupational therapist to attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment