Monday, April 3, 2017

Aimee Mullins TEDMED response

Aimee Mullins talk was very motivating for me, I cannot imagine how those in a similar situation would feel after hearing her speak. When she opened with the thesaurus findings of "disabled" in the 80s it was very emotional. I would like to think that people have become more accepting and understanding of disabilities as knowledge has increased. However, she also read an updated 2009 entry and although slightly better, it was still belittling. I am sad to report that now, in 2017, the thesaurus is still crushing to read. Here is what I found: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/disabled?s=t

Synonyms for disabled

adj incapacitated


I believe this goes to show how much room is left to educate and improve. As a future occupational therapist I hope to continue to advocate for those with a disability and educate those without so they understand the ABILITY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment